using drum set in worship
Daily warm up
Things to consider Before you start
1. Ergonomic Set Up of the kit
- Are you comfortable?
- Are you sitting high?
- Are you playing down into the drum?
2. Proper drum/cymbal/implement choices
- Are your drums the right choice for the music? (Specifically snare drum)
- Are your cymbal choices appropriate? (Thin, Large, Cymbals with wash)
- Are your sticks, or brushes too heavy for the room or song selection?
- Are your drums tuned for the music? (Gospel vs. Praise and Worship)
- Are you using any kind of dampening?
- Can you hear all parts of the group?
- Do you have your mix set?
- Can you identify (sing) everyone else's part?
Taking the next step
1. Right to Left hand coordination
-. Stroke style, hand to hand combinations, evens of subdivisions.
2. Multi-Limb coordination
- Employment of "The Grid" and all variations
- Foot Coordination within a Groove
3. Listening coordination
- Listen to a variety of new musical styles and concepts
- Listen to learn chord changes and key changes
- Listen for time signature differences